Photograph

2020.4591.09

Photograph
Title
Restoration of the Iverson Cabin
Category
Creation Date
1991

Dimensions

3.5 " H x 5" W

Description
Photograph of the restoration of he Urjans Iverson Cabin in Gilchrist Township. This image shows some of the work crew in front of the cabin. The walls are completed and the roof is going on. It was built in 1866 out of logs from the abandoned Fort Lake Johanna. Two years later, the Iverson Family moved out and the cabin was used as the first school building for District #13 and the first church for the Lake Johanna Lutheran congregation. (Now West Lake Johanna.)  In 1991, the cabin was restored, using logs from the log granary at the Gregor Halvorson farm. The granary was also built with logs from the abandoned fort.

Related People and Organizations
Eckhoff, LaVonne
Iverson, Urjans
Geographic Notes
Gilchrist Township, Pope County, Minnesota
Geographic Names
Gilchrist Township, Pope, Minnesota, United States, NA [45.45581,-95.31629] [id:5027959]
West Lake Johanna Church, Pope, Minnesota, United States, NA [45.45524,-95.2553] [id:5052418]

Contact the Pope County Historical Society for more information